Tsan Abrahamson's practice focuses on strategic counseling in the areas of social media, sweepstakes, intellectual property, advertising, trademark clearance, trademark and copyright prosecution, licensing, and other business transactions. She also manages the adverse proceedings practice at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Tsan has an extensive practice in the area of marketing promotions, including social media promotions, such as on Facebook and Twitter, gift card and gift certificate marketing, print and online sweepstakes, contests, give-aways, warranties, rebates, and coupon promotions. She also advises on corresponding privacy issues related thereto.
Tsan's advertising practice includes working with regulatory agencies to comply with federal guidelines, including new FTC guidelines regarding affiliate marketing, CAN-SPAM. and the Deceptive Mail Prevention and Enforcement Act. She also advises on ad campaigns, including script review, storyboard clearance, and network media placement.
Tsan also has special expertise in children's marketing issues, including promotions and claim substantiation, COPPA compliance, and advertising to children in print and television media. She has been a SuperLawyer since 2009, and is in Who's Who Legal for her expertise in Internet and E-commerce matters. She was inducted into the American Law Institute in 2007.
In addition to her advertising and promotions work, Tsan has successfully prosecuted and defended thousands of trademarks with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and internationally, including difficult sound and sensory marks and design marks. She has registered hundreds of copyrights at the U.S. Copyright Office and overseas.
Tsan's professional affiliations include the International Trademark Association, the Brand Activation Association, and the American Bar Association. She is an adjunct professor of law at USF School of Law.
Prior to Cobalt LLP, Tsan was worldwide intellectual property and licensing counsel for LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. She also practiced for 7 years with the San Francisco firm of Cooley Godward Kronish (formerly Cooley Godward), where she represented video game makers, online auction houses, pharmaceutical companies, and numerous other large companies. Tsan also spent 8 years as a chef. When she's not in the office, she's carving telemark turns and searching for good wine, not always in that order.
Areas of Speciality
- Trademark prosecution and litigation
- Contests and Sweepstakes
- Marketing and Advertising
- New York
- Dartmouth College, A.B. (Psychology and Religion), 1985
- UCLA School of Law, J.D., 1996
- The Anderson School at UCLA, M.B.A. 1994
Memberships & Affiliations
- The American Law Institute
- The International Trademark Association (INTA)
- The American Bar Association
- The Promotions Marketing Association
- The Mobile Marketing Association
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- The American Intellectual Property Law Association
- The Dartmouth Lawyers' Association
- The Children's Advertising Review Unit
- Board of Trustees for the Developmental Studies Center
- Strathmore's Who's Who for Leadership and Achievement in the Law
- California Super Lawyer
- Featured Lecturer with ALI-ABA, AIPLA, the Promotions Marketing Association, and the American Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor at USF Law School